Brexit travel advice for passengers travelling after 31 October 2019



Please read the following essential information if you are due to travel to Europe after 31 October. 

1) Check your passport

When the UK leaves the European Union, there will be new rules for UK passport holders travelling to most European countries. 

You’ll need to check whether your UK passport meets the new requirements. Most people will be unaffected, but if your passport is nearing the end of its validity you may need to renew it earlier than planned. You can check the validity of your passport and find out more by visiting: 

Specifically, under these new rules, we advise: 

  • You should have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). 
  • If you renewed your current UK passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years will not count towards the 6 months needed. 
  • The easiest and cheapest way to renew your UK passport is online at renew-passport 
  • The affected countries are: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City. 
  • Travel from the UK to Ireland for UK passport holders will continue as it is now. 
  • If you hold a Crown Dependency (Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man) or Gibraltar issued British passport you’ll also need to comply with the new rules.

2) Driving in the EU

You will need new documents to drive to or in Europe after the UK leaves the EU on 31 October 2019. 

There would be no immediate changes to travel if the UK agrees a deal to leave the EU. The rules would be the same until at least 2020. 

If there’s a deal, you can continue to drive in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland in the same way as before. Bring your UK driving licence, and your V5C (log book) if you’re taking your vehicle from the UK. 

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will need some extra documentation to drive a car in some EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland after Brexit. 

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you’ll need: 

  •  a ‘green card’ - allow one month to get this from your vehicle insurance company o a GB sticker o an International Driving Permit (IDP) for some countries 

If you’re towing a trailer or a caravan, you will need an additional ‘green card’ for the towed vehicle. 

If you’re hiring a vehicle abroad, you do not need a green card or GB sticker. 

3) Travel insurance 

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may not be valid after Brexit. You should make sure your travel insurance covers all your healthcare needs. 

Whether there’s a deal or not, when taking out a travel insurance policy you should check: 

  • you have the right policy for your needs, not just the cheapest 
  • the level of healthcare cover it includes 
  • the travel disruption cover it provides 
  • the terms and conditions 
  • if it covers all destinations and activities 

There is further detailed information on choosing your travel insurance here:

4) Travelling with Pets

You can still take your dog, cat or ferret to the EU after Brexit but the rules will change. 

These are steps that you need to take before you can travel with a pet: 

✓ Start preparing at least 4 months in advance of your travel date by visiting a vet for 


✓ Have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. 

✓ Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after its last rabies 

vaccination (whether that’s a booster or initial vaccination). 

✓ Wait 3 calendar months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before 

you can travel. 

✓ Take your pet to a vet no more than 10 days before travel to get an animal health 

certificate. A current EU pet passport issued in the UK will not be valid for travel to the EU in a No Deal. 

Dogs travelling from the UK to EU listed tapeworm-free countries (Finland, Republic of Ireland and Malta) must be treated for tapeworm 24 to 120 hours (1 to 5 days) before arriving in one of those countries. 

Get a health certificate 

You must also take your pet to a vet no more than 10 days before travel to get an animal health certificate. 

You must take proof of: 

✓ your pet’s vaccination history

✓ your pet’s microchipping date

✓ a successful rabies antibody blood test result 

Your pet’s animal health certificate will be valid for: 

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU 
  • onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue 
  • re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issue 

Arriving to the EU 

Pet owners travelling with pets will need to enter the EU through a designated Travellers’ point of entry (TPE)

You may need to present proof of: 

  • your pet’s microchip 
  • rabies vaccination 
  • successful blood test results 
  • tapeworm treatment (if required) 
  • your pet’s health certificate 

Stay Informed To prepare for changes visit 

Contact the pet travel helpline if you need more help: Email: Telephone: 0370 241 1710 Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays) 

Check if you need an IDP on the Post Office website. You can get them over the counter in participating branches if you do. Each permit costs £5.50. 

Check if you need to act now to make sure you can travel as planned by visiting


For more information on travelling in Europe after Brexit, visit